Bangladeshi Team Left New Zealand After Narrow Escape In Deadliest Attack

Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal

Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal

New Zealand is the country where crimes like this have hardly occurred and it is extremely rare but after this terror-stricken attack, Bangladesh changed its perception about team security during tours in the country.

The team had just arrived at the Al Noor Mosque for Friday prayer when a gunman opened fire, and after hiding on the team bus for almost 10 minutes, they then fled the scene back to nearby Hagley Oval, where the now-cancelled third cricket test was set to take place.

New Zealand internationals Martin Guptill and Lockie Ferguson, who play first class cricket for Auckland, also withdrew from their team's match with Otago in Dunedin.

"I would say the general reaction of the people of New Zealand has been one of surprise and shock".

The Bangladesh players reportedly left the bus and fled on foot to nearby Hagley Oval, where the test match against New Zealand had been scheduled to be played.


Video footage widely circulated on social media, apparently taken by a gunman and posted online live as the attack unfolded, showed him driving to one mosque, entering it and shooting randomly at people inside.

"It will certainly take some time for us to get out of it following the experience that we had here", Tamim told reporters at the airport on Saturday.

"The militants and terrorists have no religion, country or nation". They were told not to run but walk briskly and they did so, tension and distress evident in haunted looks.

Bangladesh, with its hectic efforts, managed to save the country from militancy and terrorism.

A man in the mosque at the time, who would not give his name, said there were "bodies all over me". The test match has been called off after the terror attacks.


"Then at that point we realised that if they came out of the mosque and [started shooting], we'd be in trouble".

Mohammad Isam, a journalist from ESPNCricinfo, filmed the players as they made their way from the bus to the ground.

The prime minister said the attack reflected "extremist views that have absolutely no place in New Zealand".

'I can not describe what is going inside us, what we have seen, ' stand-in skipper Mahmudullah told reporters upon arrival. The players were kept on the bus by police but later allowed to leave and to walk to Hagley Oval. International Cricket Council chief executive David Richardson said it "fully supports the decision to cancel the test match". They lost their one-day global series 3-0 and have also lost the three-Test series after New Zealand claimed victory in the opening two matches.

Speaking to Radio New Zealand, Tamim added: "New Zealand has been lovely and very safe whenever we have been".


Latest News