Australian PM slams Erdogan over Christchurch comments

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern speaks to the media during a press conference at the Justice Precinct in Christchurch

Christchurch Students Remember Victims During Muslim Call to Prayer

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Wednesday visited Cashmere High School, which lost two students in the shootings: Sayyad Milne, 14 and Hamza Mustafa, a 16-year-old refugee from Syria who died alongside his father at Al Noor mosque.

If the mosque is not ready, the Friday prayers will be held across the road in the spacious Hagley Park.

"All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned".

"We are confident as a government that the vast majority of New Zealanders will support this change".

Bush, the police commissioner, said they believe they know where the gunman was going for a third attack when officers rammed his auto off the road but won't say more because it's an active investigation.

The statement says: "Over the weekend, a Transguard employee made inflammatory comments on his personal Facebook account celebrating the deplorable mosque attack in Christchurch, New Zealand".

Some people expressed support for the victims in a uniquely New Zealand way. Khalid Mustafa's younger son Zaed, 13, who managed to survive the atrocious events with injuries to his arms and legs, attended the emotional service in a wheelchair. "I can assure people that there is no point in applying for such a permit", she said.

Four people were arrested, but only a 28-year-old Australian man was charged with murder.

Jamil El-Biza, who came from the Sydney area to attend the funerals, told AFP that Zaid said at the graves of his brother and father: "I shouldn't be standing in front of you". Thirty of the 50 victims can now be returned to the families for burial, she said. "I'm not afraid", Alsaleh, who hid in a bathroom during the shooting, told Stuff, a local website.

Ms Ardern has announced that national TV and radio would broadcast the Muslim call to prayer live on Friday.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush explained the reason behind the delay of the bodies being released and stated police had to prove the cause of death to the satisfaction of the coroner and the judge handling the case. She said: "Never mention the perpetrator's name ... never remember him for what he did".

As of Tuesday evening, 30 people were still being treated at the hospital, nine of them in critical condition, medical officials said.

"I know the process has been incredibly difficult, frustratingly slow from the perspective of family members, but on the (other) side, I've seen those who are working on this process as well and I can also acknowledge that they are working incredibly hard too", Ardern said.

Firearms are displayed at Gun City gunshop in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 19, 2019. The 56-year-old, a rigging supervisor at an Abu Dhabi based company, was subsequently sacked.

Latest News