Saudi Crown Prince extends his condolences to family of late Jamal Khashoggi

Trump accuses Saudis of 'lies' over Khashoggi killing

Saudi foreign Minister says Crown Prince was unaware of 'rogue operation' on Khashoggi

In a sign of growing pressure on Saudi Arabia, Turkey said it will announce details of its investigation into the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi on Tuesday and USA congressional leaders said the Gulf kingdom - in particular its crown prince - should face severe consequences for the death of the writer in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Turkish authorities have put the fiancee of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi under 24-hour police protection, the state-run Anadolu news agency said on Sunday.

Saudi Arabia has faced intense global criticism since the disappearance earlier this month of Jamal Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi government who was a contributing writer for the Washington Post.

The comments from Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir were some of the most direct yet from Riyadh, which has given multiple and conflicting accounts about Khashoggi's killing on October 2, first denying his death and later admitting it amid an global outcry.


For weeks, Saudi Arabia denied having knowledge of Khashoggi's whereabouts or what could have happened to him.

The foreign minister said that Saudi Arabia does not know where Khashoggi's body is and that officials have not listened to an audio recording that Turkey claims proves Khashoggi was tortured, killed and dismembered.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke to President Donald Trump and both agreed that the Khashoggi case needs to be clarified "in all its aspects".

Worldwide outrage over Khashoggi's October 2 slaying at the hands of Saudi officials, under still-disputed circumstances, has marked the greatest crisis in the 33-year-old's rapid rise, already tarnished by a catastrophic war in Yemen and a sweeping roundup of Saudi businessmen and activists.


Saudi officials on Sunday referred to the incident as a "huge and grave mistake".

In an interview with the Washington Post, Trump said that "obviously there's been deception, and there's been lies". "Yes, I think he did it", Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told CNN, referring to the crown prince. He initially said he believed the Saudi account.

The joint statement stressed that the Saudis' explanation must be backed by facts.

Turkey earlier said 15 Saudis who travelled to Istanbul were involved in Khashoggi's disappearance.


He described the 33-year-old prince, widely known as MBS, as a "strong person; he has very good control". Speaking late Saturday after a campaign rally in Nevada, Trump said he needs to learn more about the killing and will be working with Congress on the USA response. "He could have known they were bringing him back to Saudi Arabia".

Latest News