Ashraf Naalwa, 23, from the northern West Bank village of Shuweika, has been named by the Israeli army as the Palestinian behind Sunday's attack in the occupied West Bank industrial area of Barkan where two Israelis were killed and a third wounded. Israel has come under harsh condemnation over the past several years for its response to attacks committed by Palestinians on Israelis, which rights groups have said amounted to "collective punishment" on family members and entire communities in a clear violation of worldwide law.
Hamas claimed responsibility for the West Bank murder, setting off a mass Israeli response against the group.
Breaking Israel News reported that the brother and sister of Na'alowa were detained as part of the investigation into the shootings of Kim Levengron Yehezkel, a 29-year-old secretary and mother of a baby, and Kiv Haibi, a 35-year-old accountant and father of three.
Barkan industrial park is next to the settlement of Barkan and was established in the early 1980s.
Such an attack against Israel's settlement enterprise threatens an escalated response from the Israeli military and a spiral of events that have previously led to an outbreak of conflict. The terrorist managed to flee the scene, but was recorded by security cameras.
The businesses operated at the Barkan Industrial Park employ a total of around 7,000 workers, half of them Israeli Jews and the other half Palestinian Arabs.
The individuals were arrested for "suspected involvement in popular terrorist activities", the army said in a statement, without elaborating on the nature of these activities. The worker, who carried a gun, fired back a shot at the gunman, but apparently missed. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has no doubts that the perpetrators of the attack "will be caught and put to justice". "That's what I think happened".
A woman aged 54 was also found wounded, the medical services said.