How? $400k donations to homeless man Go Fundme page gone

Homeless war veteran Johnny Bobbitt 34 used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of stranded motorist Kate Mc Clure in Philadelphia in November 2017. She raised $545,000 for him on GoFundMe but Mr Bobbitt's lawyer claims the money is gone and he never

They raised $400,000 for a homeless vet. There’s none left to give him, lawyer says.

Mr Bobbitt brought a lawsuit to Ms McClure and Mr D'Amico, accusing them of mismanaging the donations.

Chris Fallon, an attorney representing homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt Jr.,told NBC Philadelphia that he learned the more than $402,000 that was raised is gone in a conference call with attorneys for the couple who headed the campaign a year ago, Katie McClure and her boyfriend, Mark D'Amico.

In this November 17, 2017, file photo, Johnny Bobbitt Jr., left, Kate McClure, right, and McClure's boyfriend Mark D'Amico are pictured in Philadelphia.

'It completely shocked me when I heard, ' Fallon told via philly.com. The story went viral and more than 14,000 people donated.

McClure and D'Amico have repeatedly denied any wrongdoing or misusing any of the money. McClure said she was moved by his generosity, tracked him down, and set up a GoFundMe with a $US10,000 ($13,836) goal meant to help Bobbitt find a place to live and buy a truck.

Chris Fallon, the lawyer, said he became aware of the financial standing of his client's account after a conference call with attorneys for McClure and her boyfriend Mark D'Amico - the couple who started the GoFundMe account for Bobbitt after his kind gesture, promising him a home.


Another court proceeding for both parties involved is set for Wednesday in Mount Holly.

In an August 27 interview with NBC's Megyn Kelly, D'Amico and McClure said that after they paid fees to GoFundMe for setting up the account, there was about $350,000 in donations remaining, which they transferred to their private bank account because Bobbitt didn't have one.

Fallon said in court that Bobbitt is entering a 30-day residential treatment program.

Fallon, Bobbitt's attorney, told the judge he would ask the New Jersey rehab center whether it is possible for Bobbitt to give his deposition at the facility.

A lawyer for the couple said Bobbitt received $200,000, WPVI reported. When the scandal broke, the couple said they were anxious about giving Bobbitt the money because he might use it to buy drugs.

A New Jersey judge had ordered the couple to turn the money over by last Friday, the Inquirer reported. The lawyers said no money had been transferred from the couple's savings account into a frozen escrow account set up by the law firm Cozen O'Connor.


Bobbitt, meanwhile, is back on the streets. McClure and D'Amico's attorney, Ernest Badway, told the AP they have no comment.

After the money was raised in June past year, McClure initially vowed to take the large sum and buy Bobbitt a house and a a 1999 Ford Ranger. Almost a year after the outpouring of generosity from the success of the GoFundMe page, Bobbitt has yet to see any of the money originally raised for him.

"That's a lot of money to go through to in just a short period of time", he added.

Bobbitt had been living in a camper on property the McClure family owns in rural Burlington County, but in June, he said, D'Amico told him to leave. McClure and D'Amico missed a deadline for doing so.

Badway told the judge the couple "have said they will have a forensic accountant".

According to USA Today, GoFundMe spokesman Bobby Whithorne said the crowdfunding platform is working with law enforcement on Bobbitt's behalf, in addition to "working with Johnny's legal team to ensure he's receiving support while the remaining funds are being recovered".


As for Bobbitt's health, Fallon and his team are now working to get Bobbitt admitted into a 28-day drug addiction recovery program to alleviate any concerns.

Latest News