'A horrific situation": "4 dead in Cincinnati bank shooting

Shooting incident reported in Cincinnati

Police Respond to Active Shooter Situation in Downtown Cincinnati

The gunman was shot multiple times as four police officers approached him and he died at the scene.

Police located several people injured along Walnut Street and the surrounding area, including one inside Graeter's Ice Cream shop not far from where the shooting occurred.

He says officers immediately charged toward the sound of gunfire coming from the Fifth Third Bancorp's 30-story headquarters along Cincinnati's Fountain Square.

Twenty-nine-year-old Omar Enrique Santa Perez began shooting at a Cincinnati high-rise Thursday before officers opened fire on him. The gunman was later shot dead by the police.

Police initially said it appeared the gunman entered through a loading dock, but on Friday they said that was incorrect and that he entered through a normal entrance.

The building the gunman targeted was said to have strict security, and it wasn't clear how he was able to get in.

The gunman wasn't identified, and police didn't comment on possible motive. Investigators say he had never worked in the building or had any known association with it.

Police later Thursday descended on the suspect's apartment in North Bend, located some 15 miles west of Cincinnati. Deters confirmed it was the suspect's residence.

The woman got back in the elevator and rode up to her floor, where Hanson said she was in shock and unable to form complete sentences. "We're in the very early stages (of investigation)". I've spoken with the Mayor and informed him the state will provide any necessary resources to the local police. "After that, I started running", Richardson said.

Witnesses in the area described a chaotic walk to work, hearing about 10 gunshots ring out during the morning rush.

Cotter said Newcomer had worked for Gilbane, which has headquarters in Rhode Island and has two offices in OH, for four years, overseeing trade workers.

"Oh, no, no, no, no", the woman said as she slumped against the wall and spoke to Perez's sister. "You know, these are things that we see happening across the country, and we all have to be vigilant and prepared to deal with these situations".

About 4 minutes, 28 seconds passed between when Perez fired his first shot and he was stopped by officers, Isaac said. Then, it "sounded as if they were getting closer and closer".

Calderon left behind a family, a wife and children, the co-workers of his wife wrote on GoFundMe.

"I made it out to see my kids, to see another day", she said in relief.

Luis Felipe Calderon, one of the victims in the Fifth Third shooting on September 6, 2018 in Cincinnati.

One of the victims died at the scene and two more died at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, according to reports.

All four transported to the hospital had gunshot wounds, Martin said.

Latest News