Woman survives seven days on radiator water after California crash

The Monterey County Sheriffs Office spent the last few days searching along Highway 1 for Andrea Hernandez who was reported missing

Monterey County Sheriffs Office

A woman who crashed off a coastal cliff in California survived for a week by drinking radiator water from her written-off vehicle.

Her mysterious disappearance sparked a major search as her frantic family awaited news, and a $10,000 reward was offered for information.

Monterey County sheriff's Cmdr.

Andrea Hernandez was rescued at the bottom of a cliff Friday
Monterey County Sheriffs Office Andrea Hernandez was rescued at the bottom of a cliff Friday

Authorities used climbing gear to reach Hernandez, who told authorities that she lost control after swerving to avoid hitting an animal. She was driving from Portland to visit family in Lancaster, in Southern California.

A couple that found missing OR woman along the Monterey County Coast near Big Sur are speaking out. She sent a text around 10 p.m. July 5 saying she was exhausted and stopping to sleep in her auto at a grocery store parking lot in Half Moon Bay, in San Mateo County, said a missing persons flier.

Angela Hernandez, 23, had last been seen July 6.

The couple said after they found the Jeep at the bottom of this cliff, they walked back to their campsite about a mile or two from the vehicle along the beach. Hernandez's Jeep Patriot apparently ran off Highway 1, the north-south highway that hugs the Pacific coastline.

They said Hernandez seemed OK and responsive, and they got help right away.

The hikers discovered Ms Hernandez conscious, breathing and with a shoulder injury, sheriff office spokesman John Thornburg said. I hope everyone will have patience for her and her recovery, ' Angela's sister Isabel Hernandez wrote on Facebook on Saturday.

She was in fair and stable condition but appeared to have suffered a concussion during the collision, the California Highway Patrol said in a statement.

Hernandez had spoken to her sister from Half Moon Bay, where she had spent the night, on the morning of July 6 before setting off on the final leg of her journey, according to San Francisco ABC station KGO. Calls to her cell phone went straight to voice mail. Everybody that... helped us through the whole thing and Angela will be OK.

Latest News